header image

PENSION from UK: How to claim

There are 2 types of UK pensions:   [A] A private/corporate one.  [B] The one you get from the British government.
Scroll down below see how to claim for either, IF you are eligible.
Hey, you may have untapped money coming–can’t hurt to find out!    


►  [A] FOR EXPAT BRITS OVER 55.  DID YOU PAY INTO A UK COMPANY/PRIVATE PENSION? Find out how to access your private UK Pension now, to “unfreeze” it and bring your funds over to the USA to use here and now!  [This is not the Government one–see B below for that].  How to “unfreeze” it and access your funds now!   Do you know whether and how you can access your lump sum and bring it over to the USA?   For a FREE review of your UK pension contact Mark Solomons in Florida with Florin Pensions direct on [561] 793-1311 or via email  msolomons@florinpensions.com  On Subject line put: “To Mark Solomons—UK pension query”.    Include your name + city + phone + a sentence about the type of company/private pension you paid into. Mark is a longtime member of the Florida Association of British Business.  As FABB’s UK pensions expert he has unfrozen many pensions for USA expats for 2 decades!    

  UK GOVERNMENT PENSIONS [Do not contact Mark Solomons about this!] :  If you ever paid into a UK pension scheme, paid UK social security or national insurance you should find out if you are eligible to receive anything.  Your records will still be in the UK Government system and you may be entitled to some payment, however small and however long ago.

►   PROCEDURE:   Write to them 6 months before retirement age, giving  1] Your UK social security number.  2] Date of Birth  3] Last address in the UK you lived.  4] Last date and place you worked in the UK.   5] If female, give maiden and married names.   They need this information so they can first FIND you in their old records to and verify you.   ►Then the UK Government determines IF you are entitled to anything.  GOOD NEWS:  If you apply after retirement age they will still pay you any back-payment you’re due.   SEND YOUR QUERY TO:     International Pension Centre, UK Department of Social Security, Tyneview Park,
Newcastle-on-Tyne NE 98 1BA,  England.   Phone from USA:  11441 91 218 7777   Enclose your USA phone and email.  NOTE:  They do have a website  www.thepensionservice.gov.uk  but strongly advise your first step to mail a physical letter. It gets more attention and cannot be “lost” in cyberspace!     

►  TIP:      When you write to them, mark the envelope front OVERSEAS PENSIONS so it reaches the right room immediately.  This avoid delays.  NEXT:  They will mail you back forms. You mail those back.  If approved and you are due money, they wire your pension in US dollars direct into your US bank account.  [Or into a UK account in pounds sterling if you prefer].  It’s very efficient.    BACK PAYMENT:  They’ll even wire you any back-payment you’re owed, if you applied after retirement age.

► CAUTION:   THE  ONLY OFFICIAL WEBSITE  is:   www.thepensionservice.gov.uk    But we advise you FIRST to write to them, not email.   Emails can land in Spam, get accidentally deleted etc.
You won’t know if your email ever reached the UK Government.  


TO CLAIM AMERICAN SOCIAL SECURITY  [if you are a permanent resident or US citizen]. Contact the US Social Security on 1-800-772-1213.   OFFICIAL WEBSITE for the Social Security Administration:  www.ssa.gov    Social Security is paid to resident Brits employed in the USA who have been paying into Social Security here for years.  

£   TIP:  WANT TO SAVE WHEN TRANSFERRING over UK CURRENCY?   DON’T USE YOUR BANK!  Use Moneycorp.  [ I use Moneycorp myself–FABB President.]  TO FIND OUT MORE:    Phone Moneycorp’s Kelly Cutchin on  [863] 207-6616 at their USA HQ in Orlando to ask all your questions.  Or email your query to   kelly.cutchin@moneycorp.com    The pound is shaky.  That affects all expats in Florida who still have UK dealings. To transfer your precious funds, we highly recommend you use the services of Moneycorp.  At lower rates than any bank!  This will save you fees and grief, as we Londoners say!  What your own bank won’t do is save considerable  exchange fees, like Moneycorp.   NOW is an advantageous time for you to transfer any funds you have.  THE BEST WAY:   Moneycorp, the UK company with an office in Florida and droves of satisfied Florida clients. It is the only UK currency exchange company licenced to deal in 50 states.   Many expat Brits here have used this currency service for years and report huge savings and satisfaction.    Moneycorp’s HQ is in England.   Posted by the Florida Association of British Business [FABB].  Moneycorp have been trusted members since 2005.  


  • _______________________________________________________________________________________