header image

U.S. Citizenship -How to Apply

                               APPLYING   FOR   AMERICAN  CITIZENSHIP

►  WHEN TO APPLY  You are only eligible to apply for US citizenship if you have had your Green Card for 5 years.   [Or 3 years if still married to a US citizen].   TIME-SAVING TIP:    Submit your application 2 months before that date, to get the clock ticking!   NOTE:   Britons keep both passports and become dual British-American citizens.  You do NOT relinquish your UK passport or your British citizenship……..ever!  The publisher of this website has been a US citizen, a proud British-American,  since 1996. 

►  FABB RECOMMENDS YOU BECOME A US CITIZEN.  Life becomes much easier for you in several ways. You cannot be deported for any reason, which is happening more frequently now.   Also, the USA government can seize part of your estate if you die here as a non-citizen.  Ask your Florida accountant for the specifics on that.  From time of sending in forms to day of your swearing-in ceremony in your Florida home town,  it currently takes under a year.  You get called down for an interview to the nearest Florida immigration office.   A few weeks after that, you are sworn in as a citizen with thousands of other foreigners in quite a memorable ceremony.  I became a US citizen in 1996 and, if you have made a life here with no intention to live permanently back in the UK, there are many benefits to becoming a citizen in this post 9-11 era.  Thousands of Brits in Florida have become US citizens.  You DO NOT have to give up your British passport. Ever. Let’s face it, we Brits wouldn’t be keen to do it if that were the case.   The citizenship swearing-in ceremony [mine was in Miami] was quite moving I found.   We left with a letter from the President congratulating us on becoming US citizens.  I liked the way American authorities genuinely seem to welcome you as a new citizen, poised to make a contribution to their country. —PK FABB President

    HOW TO APPLY—2 choices:

1] Recommended:  Use FABB’s Immigration Attorney to save all the paperwork , hassle, potential filing snafus and your own precious time.  Some things are just worth paying for.  FABB’s immigration experts [British run law firm in South Florida with British staff and clients, who understand YOU better] charge a reasonable flat rate fee to handle all the work.  For details:  Send email to FABB office:  britishbusinessflorida@gmail.com   Put APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP on the subject line and confirm you already have your Green card.  We’ll connect you to our experts.  OR see the the IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY WE RECOMMEND page on this website and contact Legal Immigration Services.       

2]  Do it Yourself.  Get the Citizenship application forms and instructions on what to submit—photos/fees etc. from the US Homeland Security official website www.uscis.gov    Click on Apply for Citizenship.  Or get  Citizenship forms direct by calling  the Government’s 24 hotline 1-800-375-5283.    It’s often busy so phone outside office hours. 

►  AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN SWORN IN AS A USA CITIZEN—-YOU MUST GET AN AMERICAN PASSPORT:   You can apply for it online, download forms, renew etc. http://www.travel.state.gov/passport.  Or call the National Passport Information Center: 1-877-487-2778.   To find your nearest US passport facility
go to:    http://iafdb.travel.state.gov and enter your zip code. 
In downtown Miami, you can get your FIRST TIME American passport  issued on the same day at the Passport Office behind the Hilton Hotel at 1601 Biscayne Blvd, Miami FL 33132.    ENTER PASSPORT OFFICE ON NORTH BAYSHORE DRIVE, UNDER THE OMNI SIGN.  

►  EMERGENCY PASSPORT:  For US Citizens travelling within the next 2 weeks.  The agency in downtown Miami will issue you one on the same day—but you have to go in person and wait in line.   But you  MUST CALL FIRST to make an appointment: 1-877-487-2778 and find out exactly what to bring, the fee etc.  They tell you exactly what you need to bring when you call to make the appointment.


►►►   ARE YOU OVER 55?  DID YOU PAY INTO A UK COMPANY/PRIVATE PENSION?   Do you know whether and how you can access your lump sum and bring it over to the USA?  For a FREE review of your UK pension contact Mark Solomons in Florida with Florin Pensions direct on  [561] 793-1311 email  msolomons@florinpensions.com  On Subject line put:  “To Mark Solomons—UK pension query”.  Include your name + city + phone + a sentence about the type of company/private pension you paid into.  NOTE: The UK’s decision to leave the EU has resulted in Gilt yields reaching all time historic lows,  pushing up the transfer values of UK defined benefit pensions schemes.  That means your unfrozen pension is worth MORE since July 2016.  Mark is a longtime member of the Florida Association of British Business [FABB].  As FABB’s UK pensions expert he has unfrozen many pensions for USA expats over the years.

 £   TIP:  WANT TO SAVE WHEN TRANSFERRING over UK CURRENCY?   DON’T USE YOUR BANK!  Use Moneycorp.  [ I use Moneycorp myself–FABB President.]   The pound is shaky.  That affects all expats in Florida who still have UK dealings. To transfer your precious funds, we highly recommend you use the services of Moneycorp.  At lower rates than any bank!  This will save you fees and grief, as we Londoners say!  What your own bank won’t do is save considerable  exchange fees, like Moneycorp.   NOW is an advantageous time for you to transfer any funds you have.  THE BEST WAY:   Moneycorp, the UK company with an office in Florida and droves of satisfied Florida clients. It is the only UK currency exchange company licenced to deal in 50 states.   Many expat Brits here have used this currency service for years and report huge savings and satisfaction.   TO FIND OUT MORE:    Phone Moneycorp’s Kelly Cutchin on  [863] 207-6616 at their USA HQ in Orlando to ask all your questions.  Or email your query to kelly.cutchin@moneycorp.com for details.  Moneycorp’s HQ is in England.   Posted by the Florida Association of British Business [FABB.  Moneycorp have been trusted members since 2005.